Hotel Bel-Air’s chicken pot pie
Here’s our chef’s chicken pot pie recipe so you can recreate it from the comfort of your own home. This much-loved family favourite is a true classic here at Hotel Bel-Air and the ultimate in comfort food – enjoy!
- 1 medium chicken
- 3 celery stalks, 2 carrots and 1 onion for poaching
- 1 gallon/4 litres of water
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 diced celery stalk
- 1 quartered wild onion
- 1 sliced fingerling potato
- Bunch of parsley
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of flour
- Puff pastry
- ½ cup egg wash
- Place the whole chicken in a pot with the carrots, celery and onions for poaching and cover with the water.
- Bring the pot to the boil and gently simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- While the chicken is poaching, season and roast the diced carrot, celery and sliced potato in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 365°F (185°C/gas mark 5) then set aside.
- Once your chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and strain the poaching liquid through a sieve, retaining the liquid.
- Remove the meat from the chicken and chop roughly.
- Melt the butter in a pan then mix in the flour and continue to heat to form a lightly coloured roux.
- Add a little of the poaching liquid and continue to stir.
- Keep slowly adding all the liquid followed by the cream and bring to the boil to thicken the sauce.
- In a large bowl, add the roasted vegetables to your chopped chicken and sauce, season to taste and add the chopped parsley.
- Add the pie filling to your pie dish and rollout out the puff pastry.
- Place your pastry on top of the pie filling, making a secure seal around the edges.
- Cover with egg wash and bake for 25 minutes at 375°F (190°C/gas mark 5).
More like this
View the latest issue of Collect, our bi-annual magazine featuring a curated mix of culture, art and lifestyle, together with the latest news from Dorchester Collection hotels.Discover more