Celebrate American Independence Day with key lime pie
Originally hailing from the Sunshine State, key lime pie is no longer just Florida’s favourite dessert. In time for American Independence Day, executive pastry chef Niamh Larkin shares her version of this classic for you to try at home.
Refreshing and indulgent
I’m a big fan of this all-American dessert. It’s wonderfully refreshing thanks to the fresh lime juice yet deliciously indulgent at the same time. As an American himself, our executive chef David McIntyre associates this dish with special occasions, and I know whenever I serve it to family and friends it’s always greatly appreciated.
Another reason I like to do this dessert when I’m entertaining is because it’s something you can easily prepare in advance, which always helps to keep things more relaxed. It’s also a really simple dish to make, so I’m confident that once you’ve tried this recipe it will be one you come back to time and again. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups digestive biscuit crumbs
4oz melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
10 egg yolks
2 cups condensed milk
1 1/2 cups key lime juice or the juice and zest of 2lb fresh limes
2 cups double cream
1/8 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 140°.
- Mix the digestive biscuit crumbs with the melted butter and brown sugar and press into a 25cm/10” glass pie dish.
- For the filling, mix the egg yolks with the condensed milk then stir in the lime juice and zest.
- Pour the mixture onto the digestive biscuit base and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until it’s slightly firm.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before covering and storing in your fridge.
- Whisk the double cream and caster sugar together until firm then add to a star-nozzle piping bag and create decorative rosettes around the outside edge of the pie.
- Decorate the top with some finely grated lime zest and serve.
I trust my recipe has inspired you to create your own key lime pie. Alternatively, please join us for our popular CUTcakes & Tea where we’ll be serving this much-loved dish in celebration of Independence Day (July 4).
View the latest issue of Collect, our bi-annual magazine featuring a curated mix of culture, art and lifestyle, together with the latest news from Dorchester Collection hotels.Discover more