The Dorchester’s gingerbread cake
December 02, 2021
Mario’s secret recipe
This is a much-loved recipe is the one I make at home for my family and friends every year. I like to consider it the ultimate festive showstopper for Christmas celebrations. It’s exactly what you need at the ready for when people pop round and you want to impress. I promise they will be asking for another slice and maybe even the recipe.
83g self-raising flour
1tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
42g dark brown sugar
67g golden syrup
1tbsp ginger syrup
1 large egg
Nuts and candied fruit for decoration
- Preheat the oven at 150°C/gas mark 2
- Prepare the loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the flour, ginger, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Gently heat the brown sugar, golden syrup, ginger syrup and butter in a pan until melted.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Combine the eggs and milk together then gradually stir into the gingerbread mix and beat until smooth.
- Pour the mixture in the loaf tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Piece with a skewer and if it comes out clean, you know your cake is ready.
- Once the cake has cooled, decorate with a selection of your favourite nuts and candied fruit for an eye-catching finish and serve on an opulent cake stand.
I suggest making this cake a few days before you intend eating it so that the syrup can work its magic, ensuring the cake really melts in your mouth.
View the latest issue of Collect, our bi-annual magazine featuring a curated mix of culture, art and lifestyle, together with the latest news from Dorchester Collection hotels.