Like the sound of our delicious pie but would be prefer us to cook it for you? If you live locally, we look forward to welcoming you to Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air.
Hotel Bel-Air’s chicken pot pie
December 30, 2020
- 1 medium chicken
- 3 celery stalks, 2 carrots and 1 onion for poaching
- 1 gallon/4 litres of water
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 diced celery stalk
- 1 quartered wild onion
- 1 sliced fingerling potato
- Bunch of parsley
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of flour
- Puff pastry
- ½ cup egg wash
– Place the whole chicken in a pot with the carrots, celery and onions for poaching and cover with the water.
– Bring the pot to the boil and gently simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
– While the chicken is poaching, season and roast the diced carrot, celery and sliced potato in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 365°F (185°C/gas mark 5) then set aside.
– Once your chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and strain the poaching liquid through a sieve, retaining the liquid.
– Remove the meat from the chicken and chop roughly.
– Melt the butter in a pan then mix in the flour and continue to heat to form a lightly coloured roux.
– Add a little of the poaching liquid and continue to stir.
– Keep slowly adding all the liquid followed by the cream and bring to the boil to thicken the sauce.
– In a large bowl, add the roasted vegetables to your chopped chicken and sauce, season to taste and add the chopped parsley.
– Add the pie filling to your pie dish and rollout out the puff pastry.
– Place your pastry on top of the pie filling, making a secure seal around the edges.
– Cover with egg wash and bake for 25 minutes at 375°F (190°C/gas mark 5).
A hidden sanctuary amongst the wooded hills, untouched by the clamour of life beyond the gates of Bel-Air. The most quintessentially private and exclusive hotel, delivering low-key elegance since 1946.
View the latest issue of Collect, our bi-annual magazine featuring a curated mix of culture, art and lifestyle, together with the latest news from Dorchester Collection hotels.