To enjoy chef Buffolino’s signature octopus dish cooked for you, come and take your place with us at Acanto Restaurant.
Spaghetti with octopus and garlic
December 15, 2021
Chef Buffolini’s inspiration
Spaghetti with octopus is a typical Campania dish that harks back to maritime traditions. I cook my restaurant version by sous vide, to retain the flavour of the sea and keep the octopus soft. I also add a drop of vinegar to enhance the flavour. I was motivated to create my twist on this recipe using the philosophy of Italian writer Bruno Munari, who believed, “Complicating is easy, simplifying is difficult.”
200g octopus meat or a whole uncooked octopus
2 sticks of celery
300ml white wine
2 cloves of garlic
A bouquet of parsley
Olive oil, salt, pepper and whole peppercorns
1. Prepare a cooking broth by roughly chopping the carrots, leek and celery and placing them in a large pan with the white wine, parsley, some peppercorns and the whole octopus. Cover with water and boil for around 40 minutes.
2. Cut the cooled octopus into small pieces or, for a more convenient option, simply chop some pre-cooked octopus. Add to a frying pan with some olive oil, pepper and two cloves of thinly chopped garlic until the octopus starts to brown slightly then turn off the heat.
3. Boil the spaghetti until al dente, drain and return it to the same cooking pan to let any excess water evaporate, before adding the octopus and garlic.
4. Add a little chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
- Food and drink Finding the freshest ingredients for 45 Park Lane
- Food and drink Adam Smith’s favourite local producers
- Food and drink Cocktails and mocktails at Bar Nineteen12
- Food and drink Aperitivo time in Milan
- Food and drink The best cheesemongers in Paris
- Food and drink Our famous McCarthy salad recipe
View the latest issue of Collect, our bi-annual magazine featuring a curated mix of culture, art and lifestyle, together with the latest news from Dorchester Collection hotels.