Rigatoni ‘alla Norma’
February 01, 2022
A word from the chef
I’m a particular fan of this recipe and recommend a couple of things to ensure a memorable result. The first is to use the finest extra virgin olive oil, as the better the quality of the oil the better your dish will taste. The same is true when it comes to choosing the right tomatoes. My personal preference is for Vesuvio Piennolo cherry tomatoes as they have the most intense flavour. Last but not least, choose a salted ricotta, ideally from Sicily just like the dish itself.
400g cherry tomatoes
200g Sicilian salted ricotta
100g extra virgin olive oil
2 medium aubergines
2 cloves of garlic
1tsp chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
1. Remove the aubergine skin and dice into 2cm square cubes.
2. Pan fry the aubergine pieces with the olive oil and two crushed cloves of garlic.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook everything for ten minutes over a lively flame.
4. Boil the rigatoni in salted water until al dente then drain.
5. Stir the rigatoni into the aubergine and tomato mix and cook for a further two to three minutes.
6. Add a handful of freshly chopped basil and mix well.
7. Finish the dish with a sprinkling of grated ricotta.
View the latest issue of Collect, our bi-annual magazine featuring a curated mix of culture, art and lifestyle, together with the latest news from Dorchester Collection hotels.