Dorchester Collection recognises the impact we make on society, the economy and the planet, and we are committed to making a positive difference in the places where we operate. By acting in accordance with our mission and values, we actively demonstrate corporate responsibility in a manner founded on fair treatment of our people, responsiveness to the needs of our guests,environmental responsibility and ethical business practice. Each hotel within the collection seeks to minimise the environmental impact of its operations, including those relating to energy consumption, water use, waste minimisation and management, product procurement and use, and the selection of materials in refurbishment and new build projects. Each hotel monitors its environmental impact and seeks continuous improvement in reducing its impact. We also ensure that each hotel makes a positive contribution to the community in which it operates, not only through the provision of employment and other direct economic benefits but by addressing broader social and economic needs. This includes consideration of local community needs and identifying how we may work to offer our expertise and support. These types of pro-bono or fund-raising opportunities, which vary from hotel to hotel, are often driven by employees and may involve collaboration with other bodies such as charities or non-governmental organisations.
Our approach to corporate responsibility has been developed to take account of our unique diversity and devolved structure by ensuring that wherever we work in the world our same high standards and values apply.Therefore, rather than imposing a single policy on the size or specific subject of corporate support, each department considers where the greatest benefit and value will be delivered relevant to what they do and where they operate. Dorchester Collection’s approach to corporate responsibility:
- Reflects our organisational model and operating principles by creating the opportunity to celebrate what is already being done and allowing everyone to be involved in what we do
- Avoids compliance approach or the adoption of complex external systems
- Avoid putting unnecessary demands on the hotels
- Provides a mechanism for each hotel to tell its story and engage its guests and stakeholders on the basis of its CR commitments
- Ensures that we work above and beyond any legislative requirements
- Dorchester Collection is committed to ensuring we work only with carefully selected suppliers who offer the finest quality ingredients whilst ensuring the best possible methods for animal welfare and sustainability. As part of this company wide approach, Dorchester Collection has committed to sourcing 100 percent cage-free eggs (both shell and liquid) by December 31, 2020. We are also in discussions with our suppliers about the products they supply to us.
We create, develop and lead motivated teams who are highly competent, exceed in their skill set and live Dorchester Collection’s values. We support our people by:
- Stimulating positive and responsive communication
- Supporting learning and development opportunities
- Encouraging our employees to realise their full potential
We endorse human rights in each of the countries we operate in and have developed the Dorchester Collection Code which includes our commitment to non-discrimination, diversity and equal opportunities. We maintain a safe, healthy and sustainable environment for our guests and employees. Our responsibility to the environment and the legacy we will be leaving is recognized by:
- Applying policies and procedures that meet both Dorchester Collection and legislative requirements
- Promoting the safety, health and welfare of our employees
- Sustaining and, where possible, improving the environment within which we operate, minimizing any negative impact that we cause
Corporate responsibility champions
A corporate responsibility steering group has been established for the company to ensure strategic focus and facilitate the process of discussion, agreement and implementation of key projects to achieve its goals. Its chief objective is to ensure that we are able to fulfil our obligations in the most effective way and do not compromise our values in the activities that we do. The steering group model is implemented at both department and hotel levels with individuals nominated to have specific charge for corporate responsibility. These corporate responsibility champions have the authority to implement key strategies. They represent the executive team and are selected for their natural passion and interest in the subject. These champions ensure that we successfully and effectively fulfill our obligations and that our activities do not compromise our core values.
Environmental protection and sustainability
Dorchester Collection is committed to environmental protection and sustainability guided by our hotels and supported by corporate office. In delivering this commitment, all of our employees endeavour to:
- Work diligently to minimise our waste stream and conserve natural resources, particularly through energy and water conservation
- Value the cultural heritage of our properties, allowing us to give our guests an authentically local experience
- Comply with all applicable environmental legislation and strive to follow best environmental practices
- Make environmental considerations an important aspect of decision-making
- Build local partnerships in the communities where we do business.
- Consider the opinions of our guests and employees when examining our environmental programmes and procedures, and to encourage actively feedback from our stakeholders
- Identify areas for improvement and innovation at property level and support the efforts of the green teams at each of our properties